Thursday, August 1, 2013

Microsoft OneNote and Family Research

If you were to look in my office you would see several notebooks over flowing with papers as I try to maintain some resemblance of order.

I began experimenting with Microsoft OneNote 2010 several months ago to see if it could help me to tame my research.

I have found it to be very useful as I work on a Surname Project for the Beasley Family. I can track different families and have the information all in one place and I no longer need to haul large notebooks around. You can search for names or a subject and find documents, emails and notes very easily. There is a clipping tool that you can use to cut from the web and insert into OneNote.

Being able to create a Notebook with as many sections and pages as you like is great!

If you still love paper copies you can print out your OneNote file if needed.


Using SkyDrive allows you to access your files from any computer is a benefit. If I'm at the local Family History Center and I need to look something up. I can access it online and continue on with my research. I also have the app for my tablet where I can access the same files.

I created  the following forms that have helped me keep track of records that I have searched at a glace. I have created them for OneNote 2010 and OneNote 2007.  Feel free to use these for your personal use.

I have created links that will take you to SkyDrive where you can download a copy.


OneNote Research Checklist 2010

OneNote Research Checklist 2007

I also created a Research Log that you may find useful.

Research Log 2010

Research Log 2007

I am also including a blank file to help you setup a OneNote Notebook for Family Research.


Family 2007 & 2010


There are so many uses for OneNote and Family History Research the "sky" is the limit on what you can do.

I hope you will try it out.  Please let me know how the forms work for you.

I will be adding these files for 2013 in the near future.